- The combination of an aging population and an increased prevalence of multiple chronic conditions is resulting in more complex medication regimens that are difficult for consumers to follow.
- Approximately 20–30% of prescriptions are never filled, and approximately 50% of medications for chronic diseases aren’t taken as prescribed.
Goals and Objectives
- Improve medication adherence.
- Reduce physician and ER visits, lab tests, and hospital or nursing home admissions.
- Automate and personalize reminders to take or fill/refill medications to improve medication adherence.
- Communicate nonadherence to healthcare providers and, in certain cases, alert family members (e.g., minor children, elderly parents).
- Mobile health apps
- Smart pill bottles and boxes
- Secure text messaging
- Digital assistants
- Omni-channel reminders
- Ingestible sensors
Use Case Summary
Digital care coordination tools personalize automated communication between patients and healthcare organizations, thereby enhancing the overall patient experience and driving adherence to medication regimens.